Sterile Processing is a fast-paced, constantly changing and at times, stress-provoking area. It is very important to improve hospital decontamination and sterilization practices in resource-constrained countries by providing education, consulting services and advocacy related to surgical instrument reprocessing. Sterdoc operates as a trusted partner in CSSD, domestically and globally.
The most important job of a Sterile Processing Manager or Educator, is maintaining a high level of quality in their department. Unlike other processing fields which work on a batch or assembly line, Sterile Processing is a Quality Assurance department before anything else. Patient safety is the number one priority and improving a department’s positive outcomes should always come before trying to boost productivity:
• Engage staff in the process
• Implement an effective Quality Assurance Program
• Strive for Excellence
• Stress Quality over Productivity
• Reward your team
Sterdoc consults with its distributors and the local hospitals in resource limited countries to assist in improving sterilization techniques and to provide education in related areas of infection control and quality assurance. Our goal is to document a significant decrease in infections related to unsterile instruments in patients undergoing surgical procedures.
Our belief is that by providing education, mentoring and resources to health care workers, we will empower them to develop and maintain safe sterile practices within their medical community. Sterdoc dedicates itself to the promotion of the highest quality of reprocessing possible within limited resource settings to ensure patient safety and wellbeing.
When you consider the activities of the Central Sterilization Supply Department (CSSD) from receipting, cleaning, assembly, sterilization, storage and distribution of sterilized materials, along with the controlled conditions, a strategic approach to an outstanding CSSD Storage upgrade is extremely important.
Adequate managerial expertise, technical supervision and qualified contractors are optimal for cost effective and timely results in any CSSD Storage upgrade. The CSSD is essential to any operating hospital, it is the single largest controller of infection rate reduction.
1. Sometimes things are so glaringly obvious that they get easily overlooked. For starters when upgrading a CSSD Storage area a redesign committee needs to be formed. It requires a team effort for any project to run smoothly especially in this environment.
2. It is critical to engage the clinical staff and keep them informed every step of the way. This alone keeps up the staff enthusiasm throughout the project, which at times can be testing.
3. Prepare for hiccups, refurbs have unexpected delays with existing infrastructure, it is vital to have a contingency plan, you may need to improvise for a short period. Carrying out the works in a holiday period Easter or Christmas is also a great idea when theatre has a reduced workload.
4. At all times maintain the standard, all precautions must be taken to continually meet the standard, this being the case, ensure to confide in your OH&S and Infection Control Departments, they may even form part of your committee.
Along with innovation comes change, and with change comes pain, but with no pain there is no gain. Following are some of the great benefits in implementing a fully integrated “Global Best Practice” CSSD Storage area:
Improved the staff work day
Enhanced patient outcomes
Reduced Manual Handling
Improved flow of equipment
Demands of increased workload met
Ensured compliance to the standard
Enhanced lighting, visibility and atmosphere
The very best of care delivered to patients
Minimal disruption for long term untold gains
Chemical Indicator classifications enable the enduser to understand performance parameters and tolerances of various Chemical Indicators. The appropriate Chemical Indicatorcan then be used to obtain the information needed to determine the effectiveness of the sterilization process. For more information, please download our brochure here below.